Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Review

Where the Wild Things Are

Nelson and Max napping before the movie

Me:
"Nelson, what did you think about the movie last night?"

Nelson: "I like it. My favorite part of the movie was when... My first favorite part was when Carol says, "Don't feed him or he'll just follow you around." My second favorite part was the funny new stick arm. It was a little bit scary and a little bit sad and a little bit funny."

Me: "Would you watch it again?"

Nelson: "Yes, I would watch it again, but not again and again and again. I don't want to buy the DVD."


Henry and Moishe (Carol) napping before the movie

Me: "Henry, what did you think of the movie last night?"

Henry: "I didn't like it. It was too sad and scary.

Me: "How did it make you sad?"

Henry: "Because of the end. And the scary parts, I didn't like. The water stuff was really scary. But at least it didn't happen again."

Me: If we rented it would you watch it again?"

Henry: "No."

Me: "Is it still your favorite book?"

Henry: "Yes, because it isn't that scary."




As you may know, we were really excited to see this movie, and for Clark and I, it did not disappoint.
We settled on the 6:45 Saturday evening viewing and decided we had better get there at least an hour before it was to start in order to get the prime seats. The parking lot was packed. We had a quick discussion of whether or not I should jump out and get in line while the boys parked. We agreed to stick together and deal with the repercussions of those added extra minutes. The line to get tickets went relatively fast and we were inside contemplating our next move. We saw "the line" growing with every passing moment, curving around and down the hall, not yet allowing viewers into the theater. We needed to get in that line, and quick, but had not ordered our food yet. So we hastily ordered our snacks and bee lined it for the ticket guy.

As I hand him our tickets he states, "We are not seating for this movie yet, it will be about 20 minutes, but you can wait in line 3".

I say, "We know, we'll join the masses."

He says, "Not that line, " he points, "that line, behind that gentleman and his little boy."

"Really, the one with just two people in it?"

"Uh-huh."

Apparently everyone wasn't quite as excited as we were for WTWTA, but more so to see Paranormal.
We waited in line, with our treats, for the 20 minutes. Picked the best seats in the house, and thoroughly enjoyed the movie. While I don't think I would suggest it for the younger viewers, such as my own, I think maybe 9 or 10 and up would be more appropriate. The story is heavy and Max is kind of naughty. H&N didn't really understand what the chaos was about.
Overall, it was well worth the wait. Excellent story, beautiful costumes, scenery and interaction. Two thumbs up for sure.

2 comments:

Valerie Koop said...

Excellent Review. Thanks for being so revealing. I was really wanting to take Caeden, but will wait for the DVD.

Brooke said...

I was wondering how your Wild Things experience went over. I was just reading a review about it. (I am sure you know that it is getting excellent reviews!) But the writer pointed out that it is "a movie about a child, not a movie for Children." My oldest is 4 and a half and has yet to go to a movie. (Bad, Bad *CHEAP* parents!!!) Sadly, I don't think we will be making this one our first. He would never make it :(
Thanks for the excellent review. I am excited to see it... some day!