Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Serious State of Neglect and Meteors

I know this poor blog has fallen into a bad habit of abandonness. One post on one swim meet the whole summer... Really?? So, I am getting back on the horse. I have stuff to say (sometimes) and definitely photos to share (always). So, to my followers, let's be honest here, to my in-laws and my mom, I am dusting the cobwebs and putting this little gem back into action!

Just to get things warmed-up a bit...

Our weekend started with BIG plans to go camp out on the beach and watch the Perseid meteor shower. Our best made plans were halted with a backed-up shower, clogged toilets and a mutant washing machine making a huge mess of my garage. And, for the record, I no longer cuss S. Texans for idiotically putting the laundry room inside the garage and forcing me to do laundry in an 120 degree oven all summer long. Turns out it is a brilliant location for an overflowing machine. Anyhow, we dealt with it for the day. Headed to one of Clark's gigs for the evening and booked a room with early check-in for Sunday night. Turns out the plumber could do nothing for our little situation but could charge us $130 and promised to bring a friend back on Monday morning to get the job done. Yay!

This plan, other than the guaranteed swimming pool at the hotel, did not sit well with our budding astrologer Henry. He insisted that we still see the meteors. So we did. He and I stayed up until midnight, loaded up the car with chairs and flashlights, rallied Clark, woke Nelson and headed north to watch the display. We stayed about an hour or so. We saw about 30 meteors, listened to Nelson complain the entire time about how miserable and tired he was, did a little "light painting" for the camera, tee-teed by the car and then headed back home.

untitled-3 untitled-2

If you look really close in this one, bottom-leftish, you can see a meteor. I took about 1000 shots and this was the only one that captured a streak.  Click on it for a bigger view.untitled

We plan to try again this December for the next display... This time, however, we may have to leave our little cranky potato chip at home!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No. Not only your in-laws and mom! Have been missing you, and glad to see that you are getting back into action! xoxo ~janene